The Teleki Castle in Gornești

The Teleki Castle in Gornești


See schedule


DN15, Gornești 547280, Romania


The history of over seven centuries of Gornești commune is interwoven with the names of its owners. The current castle is an imposing Baroque building from the 18th century and was erected between 1771 and 1778 on the site of a former medieval fortress of the new owner Mihai Teleki who wanted an impressive, imposing castle for the noble family.

The Transylvanian Baroque-style castle, built in the Grassalkowich style, according to designs by architect Mayerhoffer.

The charm of the castle lies in its 52 rooms and 365 windows, symbolizing the days of the year. The castle is U-shaped, with the central dome above the reception hall. The wings of the palace feature a large courtyard oriented towards the park. The decoration of the facades is quite simple, only the central pavilion is decorated with a few ornaments. On the main façade we see double pillars with ionic caps and arch windows, decorated with rococo ornaments over which there is another oval-shaped window. The vault of the reception hall – the central room of the castle – is painted with floral motifs specific to late 19th century.

The most beautiful part of the castle in the upper floor salon, where the original plaster, the two rococo white porcelain stoves and three chandeliers have been preserved. The family’s blazon, as with other Hungarian noble castles, is inlaid over the entrance doors and the balcony.

The castle park was originally inspired by the French garden, but in the 19th century it was transformed into an English landscape park, taking advantage of the historicist atmosphere of the former defense ditch of the medieval castle.

Eleven statues were placed in the park, divided into two categories: seven sculptures representing the deities of Antiquity, another four representing satirized human types in the history of France. Nine of them are still preserved in the palace park, but in an advanced state of decay.

The most famous member of the family is Count Samuel Teleki (1739-1822), Chancellor of Transylvania and founder of the Teleki library in Tîrgu Mureș.

In 1949 the historical-architectural ensemble was nationalized and in 1956, after a tuberculosis epidemic, it was turned into a tuberculosis prevention center of children. The interior retains stoves, chandeliers, carpentry, original stucco and some pieces of furniture and decorations.

Retroceded in 2006, it was only in 2011 that Teleki’s successors were in possession of the architectural ensemble so that it could now be gradually restored, according is open daily and no entrance fee is charged, visitors having the possibility to donate to help restore the park and the palace.

Photo Gallery


Similar Suggestions

Lăpușna Royal Hunting Castle


The Rákóczi-Bornemisza Castle


The Kendi-Kemény in Brâncovenești